Pho is the ultimate comfort food.
Asian food is one of our favorites. Especially Vietnamese and Thai. It is all about fresh ingredients, mainly vegetables.
But what is Pho after all? Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup containing broth, rice noodles called bánh phở (hence the name), herbs and protein.
Fun fact! Pho is a Vietnamise street food and it is mainly eaten for breakfast, because… why not? It is a bowl of goodness that just sets you for the day!
As you will see while cooking this recipe, the secret relies on the flavor of the broth, so keep tasting it and adding spices until you feel you have nailed it!
Basics: Shiitake mushrooms, vegetable stock, brown rice noodles, bok choy, bean sprouts, spring onions, basil, coriander, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, lime and chili
Ok, the list of ingredients can be a bit daunting but the good news is that this recipe takes 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
Believe me, give it a go and this will be one of your favorite comfort foods ever!
Total time: 30m
Author: Honest Onion
Recipe type: Lunch & Dinner
For the broth:
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved
- 1 slice of fresh ginger, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 bok choy
- 4 spring onions
For the rest of the recipe:
- 200gr Brown rice noodles (or normal rice noodles)
- 120gr Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- To make the broth, place a large pot over medium heat, add the vegetable stock, onion, spring onions, ginger, star anise, cloves and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring the broth to a boil and reduce heat. Add bok choy and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve.
- To cook the mushrooms, place a frying pan over medium heat with a little bit of sesame (or olive) oil and add the mushrooms. Let it cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the hoisin and soy sauce and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the meantime it is time to make the noodles. Place a large pan to medium heat and when the water is boiling add the noodles for 5-7 minutes. Strain and reserve.
- It is time to serve: divide the noodles between two bowls. Fill each bowl with the broth and start to add the layers: add the bok choy, bean sprouts, shiitake mushrooms and top with fresh basil and coriander.
- Serve with lime wedges and chili.
PS: Pho is to be eaten with chopsticks in one had and a spoon on the other.
Don’t you just love how simple good food can be?
Please share your thoughts and photos tagging us or using the hashtag #honestonion.