This tofu scramble with spinach makes a great simple week dinner and an easy egg substitute for vegetarians and vegans.
This recipe is also a healthier version of an asian egg fried rice. You can add whatever else you want: peas, corn, chives, etc.
Basics: Tofu, spinach, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric and lemon (sorry, I forgot the onion, turmeric and soy sauce on the photo. Ups!).
Total time: 30 m
Author: Honest Onion
Recipe type: Lunch & Dinner
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 1 pack tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- Salt and pepper
- Brown or basmati rice
- Start by cooking the rice.
- In the meantime, press the tofu with a couple of kitchen towels to drain the excess water.
- Crumble the tofu, season with the lemon juice, salt, pepper, turmeric and curry powder.
- Sauté the garlic, onion and ginger in olive oil in a large skillet or a wok. Allow to cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to get soft.
- Add the crumbled tofu and give it a quick stir. Let it cook for 5 minutes until the tofu is crispy.
- Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and let it cook until wilted.
- Add the rice and the soy sauce, stirring all together.
- Add the chopped basil leaves, give it a stir and serve!
The tofu scrumble mixture on toast can also make an amazing brunch.