We love granola, but….
I mean, what’s not to love, right? BUT, since we’ve become a bit more aware of the hidden ingredients in processed food, we unfortunately found out that granola is no different from all the others.
Let’s see one example. This is Jordans Simply Granola list of ingredients:
British Wholegrain OAT Flakes (81%), Sugar, Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed Oil, Palm Oil), Honey (1%), Sunflower Seeds, Natural Flavouring.
It starts with Wholegrain Oats (great!), BUT the 2nd most used ingredient is sugar, followed by vegetable oils (including palm oil) and ‘natural flavouring’ (whatever that means…).
Doest THAT sound good? No…
So, a couple of months ago we decided to try this recipe.
Rawnola = Raw + granola.
You can make your own rawnola and it takes you 3 minutes. There is no baking involved and you can use just a few ingredients, all of which natural.
Basics: Oats, medjool dates, nuts, cinnamon and seeds.
Total time: 3 m
Author: Honest Onion
Recipe type: Breakfast & Snacks
- 1 cup oats
- 10/12 medjool dates
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup ground chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional additional ingredients: shredded coconut, dehydrated berries, cocoa powder, pumpkin seeds, honey, etc.
- Add the oats and dates to a food processor.
- Blend on low speed till all the dates are broken up.
- Add the nuts, the chia seeds and cinnamon.
- Blend everything until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Form little balls or breakdown in chunks.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can top your porridge with it, eat it as a snack, or even take it for an on-the-go breakfast.
Yes, it’s that easy and it tastes even better than it looks.
Please share this or any of the other recipes with us using #honestonion.