No need for store-bought pesto anymore!
This italian classic is an absolute live saver! #ItalianFoodForever.
It’s quick, easy, healthy and cheap (ok, the pine nuts are a bit expensive BUT it goes a long way).
Apart from being such a comfort food, pesto is one of those sauces you can whisk together in no time when you’re in the mood for an indulgent meal or when you have nothing else on your cupboard.
Basics: Garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, basil, parmesan, salt & pepper.
Total time: 20m
Author: Honest Onion
Recipe type: Lunch & Dinner
- For the pesto:
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- For the pasta:
- 250gr Wholemeal spaghetti
- Start by cooking the pasta as per package instructions.
- Meanwhile start with the Pesto:
- Combine basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan in the food processor.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep adding the olive oil until you are happy with the consistency, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Remember, the sauce should be liquid enough to dissolve into the pasta.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add the pesto right away.
- Serve with a few extra shavings of parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and a few leaves of fresh basil.
And now: Tutti Mangiano (Everybody Eat)!
This pesto sauce is also good to spread on slices of bread for a really tasty sandwich, to use instead of garlic bread, as a salad dressing, to toss with vegetables, as a base of a pizza, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc…
Please share any of these recipes with us using #honestonion.