Let’s talk about Spelt!
In this recipe we use Spelt lasagne sheets.
Spelt is one of the oldest cultivated grains (an ancient cousin of wheat). It is high in fibre, has a higher content of protein and vitamins than wheat and although it contains gluten, it’s dairy free.
The taste isn’t different from any other wholegrain pasta, but after it’s cooked it has a different texture, it’s a bit softer.
As we always say, we only share ideas, so you can always adapt these recipes to your diet or change some ingredients and use ones that you prefer.
Basics: lasagna sheets, onion, garlic, red pepper, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, tomato sauce and herbs.
Total time: 1h
Author: Honest Onion
Recipe type: Lunch & Dinner
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 1 red pepper
- 250 gr chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 gr spinach
- 70 gr parmesan cheese (grated)
- Lasagna sheets (regular, wholewheat, spelt, etc)
- 2 tsp dry oreganos
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil
- Make the sauce: In a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat 2 table spoons of olive oil. Place the onions in the saucepan and sauté them for about 5 minutes until they are soft. Add the garlic, red pepper, carrots and let it cook for 5 minutes more. Add the mushrooms and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place the tomatoes in the saucepan. Season with a pinch of salt, pepper, the dry oreganos and 2 bay leaves. Stir well, add a bit of water, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, place the lasagna sheets in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and rinse well.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- In the meantime, add the spinach to the mixture.
- Assemble the lasagna: Spread a little bit of olive oil in the bottom of the baking tray. Arrange a single layer of lasagna sheets, add the vegetable mixture and another layer of lasagne. Repeat another couple of times and add the grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake the lasagna for 20, 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a salad.
YUM. Look at that golden crust.
It was delicious!
That spelt pasta is not for everyone BUT there is no harm in trying, right? If you don’t like it, please feel free to use tradicional or wholewheat lasagna sheets.
You can always use other vegetables: courgette, broccoli, mangetout, asparagus, etc.
Please let us know what you think and share your recipes with us! #honestonion