Because eating a burger doesn’t have to be bad.
Sadly, it’s hard to find good vegetarian burgers. When you are eating out and they serve you a veggie burger that’s just a sad frozen patty…I mean… veggie burgers deserve better!
And here is the answer to your prayers.
Basics: Wholemeal bun, portobello mushroom, red pepper, red onion, garlic, tomato, rosemary and guacamole.
Total time: 30
Author: Honest Onion
Recipe type: Lunch & Dinner
- 2 wholemeal buns
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lime
- Salt & pepper
For the guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime, juice
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tomato
- Coriander, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Start prepping the guacamole. Chop and add all the ingredients on a food processor. You can also add the avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and mix in the chopped onion, cilantro, tomatoes and garlic. Set aside.
- Place a grill pan on medium heat.
- Remove the stem and the outside skin of the mushrooms. Season with olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped garlic and fresh rosemary.
- Add the mushrooms, the sliced pepper (skin down) and red onion to the pan and let it grill for 5 minutes or until char grilled marks appear. Turn and let it cook on the other side.
- Remove from the heat and slice the tomato.
- Warm the buns on the grill. Spread the guacamole mixture on the bottom bun and layer with the mushroom, red pepper, onion, salad and tomato. Season with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Top with the other half of the bun and serve with extra guacamole and some veggie crisps.
Now, that’s a good and healthy veggie burger. And yes, it’s a messy one, guacamole everywhere!
Do you have any other recipes for good burgers? Did you like this one? Please share your comments and photos with us tagging or using #honestonion.