If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. – Carl Sagan
Apple, flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon. YES!
Nothing says lazy Winter Sunday morning as the smell of a homemade apple pie floating around your house. It just makes you feel all warm and cozy inside.
When Vanessa shared this recipe on her Instagram I told her she had to share it with Honest Onion!
You know when a recipe jus says a lot about a person? Yeap, if you knew her, you would understand.
Basics: Apples, lemon, sugar, butter, flour, eggs and Port wine
- 5 apples
- 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 2 egg-whites
- 150g sugar
- 130g butter
- 2 tbl Port wine (substitute: sweet red wine or another fortified wine, such as Madeira, dry vermouth, black muscat wine, cherry or even orange/apple juice)
- 170g flour
- 2 tsp yeast
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Spread butter all around your tart tin and sprinkle with flour.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Add lemon juice so it doesn’t oxidate.
- Whisk together the egg, egg-whites and sugar for 3 minutes.
- Add butter, Port wine and whisk until all the ingredients are all combined.
- Add flour and yeast and fold into the mixture.
- Pour the filling into the tin and top with the sliced apples.
- Low the temperature to 150ºC and let the tart bake for 30minutes. Insert a thin skewer into the center of the cake – if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Remove the tart from the oven and from the tin and sprinkle with cast sugar and cinnamon.
Vanessa has been part of some of my happiest moments. We had such great nights together. Every time she invites me over for dinner it is always a pleasure: long conversations over great meals and good wines, fresh flowers on the table, music playing in the back and scented candles burning up as the night goes on.
For 4 years now we have seen each other grow, changing houses a couple of times and even jobs, finding love (yeay Dani!), moving to another country…
I truly love to look back at my friendships and see how much we have grown. I am so happy for Vanessa and to see she is in a good place. Can’t wait to see what the future brings.
Whatever it is, I am sure it is going to be great.
After all, it is a soul thing and good souls deserve it…
Thank you Vanessa/ Obrigada baby!