New obsession alert!
Since we realized how easy and healthy it was to make our own hummus, we just can’t stop!
Funny fact: hummus or houmous is Middle Eastern food dip that has its origin back from Egypt.
Chickpeas, hummus’s main ingredient, is full of protein, good-for-you carbs and fiber.
Basics: Chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, yogurt, garlic, paprika and salt.
This ‘Skinny Homemade Hummus’ recipe is inspired by Jamie Oliver’s new cookbook ‘Everyday Super Food’ with a few twists.
Total time: 15 mins
Author: Jamie Oliver
Recipe type: Breakfast & Snacks
- 1 x 660 g jar of chickpeas
- 1 tsp tahini
- 2 tbsp natural organic yoghurt
- 1 pinch of paprika
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Tip the jar of chickpeas into a blender. Add in some of the water from the jar or even the entire water, depending on how moist you want your hummus to be.
- Add the tahini, yoghurt and a pinch of paprika, then peel and add the garlic.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice, then blitz until smooth.
- Taste and season to perfection, then serve with a drizzle of olive oil and an extra sprinkle of paprika.
Usually it’s served with some warm flatbread, but it’s also delicious with some crunchy vegetables like cucumber and carrots.
Hummus is a great way to add a healthy dip to your boring meal, to have it as a side dish with some soup for a light dinner or even to serve on a party.
If you’ve never had it, you don’t know what you are missing.
Let us know if you try it. Please share it with us if you do using @honestonion or #honestonion 🙂