Granola bars are a great snack, but unfortunately most of them are full of sugar, oil and other processed ingredients.
It’s so easy to make your own, why not give it a go?
This recipe is from Minimalist Baker. A Healthy 5 Ingredient Granola Bar and you don’t need to bake them. Seriously, it takes 20 minutes and you get 10 bars.
These bars are a great mid morning or afternoon snack. The sweet from the dates and the crunch from the almonds… YUM!
We used organic medjool dates but you can use another ones of your choice. These dates are high in fiber and contain high levels of the essential minerals, potassium, magnesium, copper, and manganese. What a great natural source of energy!
Believe us, you will notice a difference on your energy levels.
Basics: oats, medjool dates, almonds, peanut butter and honey.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and voilá.
- 1 cup packed organic medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup organic honey (or sub maple syrup or agave for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup creamy salted peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, loosely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups organic rolled oats (gluten free)
- optional additions: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, vanilla, etc.
Again, use whatever option you like most : gluten free, organic, vegan. Make your own version, according to your diet.
- Process dates in a food processor until it forms a “dough” like consistency.
- Toast your oats in a 180ºC (350ºF) oven for 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. It will give an extra flavor.
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a bowl – set aside.
- Warm honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to a oven dish lined with plastic wrap.
- Place the mixture and cover with another layer on plastic wrap on top. Press down until uniformly flattenedand let set in fridge for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Remove bars from pan and cut into 10 even bars.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or keep in the freezer.
Look at those!
So, are you going to buy granola bars again?!
Note: these ones turned out to be a bit gooey. If you prefer less sticky add less honey.
Tag #honestonion if you use any of the recipes. Can’t wait to see what you guys are up to!
And please share with us any questions you have 🙂