Poached eggs and avocado in the morning.
What a yummy combination and a great energy boaster.
This recipe is called ‘Magic Poached Egg, Smashed Avo & Seeded Toast’ from Jamie Oliver’s new cook book ‘Everyday Super Food’.
Eggs – A great source of protein and great to help you start a big day or for a great brunch.
Basics: Eggs, avocado, tomatoes, red onion, lime, coriander, bread and olive oil.
Jamie Oliver uses red chili in his recipe but let’s leave the spice for lunch time.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Author: Jamie Oliver
Recipe type: Breakfast
- Olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1 lime
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread
- 4 springs of fresh coriander
There are other ways to make poached eggs. Try one that you are comfortable with. The option below is a really easy one.
- Lay a 30cm sheet of clingfilm on a small bowl and nub with a little olive oil and crack an egg on top.
- Pull in the sides of the clingfilm and gently squeeze out any air around the egg. Tie a knot in the clingfilm to secure the egg is secure inside.
- Repeat with the 2nd egg.
- Place a pan of water on a medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Use a small knife to remove the core from the tomatoes, then drop them into simmering water for just 40 seconds.
- Remove to cold water, then peel and chop into eights, discarding the seedy centre.
- Place in a bowl with a teaspoon of extra virgin oil.
- Peel and grate in the onion, mix together and season with a pinch of salt, pepper and half the lime juice. Don’t forget to taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Place back the pan in the heat until it’s simmering and drop in the eggs. Poached them for around 6 minutes or longer, depending if you like your eggs runny or hard boiled.
- Smash up the avocado with the remaining lime juice and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Again, taste and adjust to your liking.
- Toast the bread, divide and spread the avocado misture and spoon over the tomato.
- Unwrap your eggs and place them on top sprinkling with the coriander leaves.
The zingness from the lime with the avocado, the juice from the tomatoes and the creaminess of the egg…
Don’t forget to tag #honestonion or share with us this recipe if you try it at home.