Uau, that’s a really big name.
Actually it’s not even a Shepherd’s Pie. The only thing in common is the fact that it has layers and egg on top. The tuna and rice make it really affordable and you won’t have to worry about cooking for 3 days.
W’ve added vegetables so it’s healthier and a great way to use the spare greens you have on the fridge.
You can pretty much do the basic recipe: onion, garlic, tuna, tin tomatoes and rice. Even with the spinach and eggs It’s pretty much £4,14 for the hole tray. That’s £0,69 (0,94€) per meal.
So, eating healthy is expensive hey…
And you don’t have to use the oven. Try mixing everything together and you will see it’s still delicious.
Basics: Garlic, onion, olive oil, tuna, rice, egg, tinned chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, paprika, salt and pepper.
We usually add red pepper and oregano as well.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Author: Honest Onion
Recipe type: Lunches & Dinners
Vegetarian option: Use tofu, seitan, soy, tempeh or any other more substantial vegetable like eggplant
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans tuna in spring water
- 2 grated carrots
- 100 gr spinach
- 1 red pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 big Ikea tall glasses (yes, that’s my measure) of brown rice
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- Start by chopping everything: onion, garlic cloves, red pepper, grate the carrots and wash the spinach.
- Cook the rice: add 3 ikea tall glasses of water to a sauce pan, let it boil, add a pinch of salt and 1 tall Ikea glass with brown rice. Let it boil for 20 minutes.
- Add 2 table spoons of olive oil to a big sauce pan and mix in the onions and garlic.
- When the onion starts to get soft, add the chopped red pepper and carrots. Mix to combine for 3 minutes and add the tuna and spinach.
- When the spinach has weld down, add the tinned chopped tomatoes (rinse the tin with water and add it to the pan) and all the spices: salt, pepper, paprika, bay leaves and oregano. Let it cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Make sure it doesn’t burn in the bottom.
- In the meantime the rice is ready.
Here you can leave it at that and serve the rice with the tuna or follow the next steps to finish it off in the oven.
7. Pre heat the oven to 200ºC.
8. Add half of the rice to the bottom of a baking tray.
9. Remove the pan from the heat and pour everything into the tray topping it with the remaining rice.
10. In a small bowl crack 2 eggs, add a pinch of salt and pepper and whip it together.
11. Pour the eggs evenly on top of the rice and place it on the oven for 15 minutes or until the top is golden.
12. Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool.
Look at that! The brown rice and tuna in spring water makes it so healthy.
An easy, cheap and delicious recipe.
And the best thing is: you don’t have to cook for 3 days.
What do you think: yeay or nay? We want to see your photos. Please share them with #honestonion.