Soups are great as a starter before a main course or simply for a light meal.
You can use whatever veggies you have in the fridge and, if it doesn’t really turn out as you remember your mom’s soup tasted like – yeap, happened to me – try again and again. Cooking is all about learning from your mistakes. Just remember, using good ingredients is a step closer for a dish to taste delicious.
Basics: salt, olive oil, onion, squash, leek, courgette, onion, carrots and spinach.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Author: Honest Onion
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- Olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 1 courgette
- Half a butternut squash
- A handful of spinach
By the way, the vegetables are all from the Farmers’ Market.
- Add the onion, carrots, leek, courgette and squash to a large pan on medium heat.
- Top with water and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach, two table spoons of olive oil and season with salt.
- Let it cook for another 15 minutes and check with a knife or fork when all the vegetables are nice and soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and purée all the ingredients with a hand blender.
Note: you can add the spinach after the puréé if you prefer. It depends if you like your soup with chunks or creamy.
You can serve it with a few croutons or crackers. It’s delicious with some rye crackers with ricotta cheese, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar on the side.
Any ideas for good, healthy and easy to make soups? Please share it with us or if you make this one tag #honestonion.